Thursday, January 20, 2011

"WHAT GETS WET AS IT DRIES?"

Last night, our son, Blake, asked us a riddle.  "What gets wet as it dries?"  Rhonda and I didn't guess the answer so he gave it to us... "a TOWEL". We laughed because it was a good riddle but this morning after my prayer time in my office, I thought about the connection between that towel and our church family (no, I am not asking you to figure out this riddle.).  When you use a towel, you want one that is dry and clean.  As you use the towel, the moisture is removed from you by the towel.  And once the towel has done it's job, you feel better, right? (I know what you thinking right now... you are thinking "so what does that have to do with your church family?")

You wanted the towel because you were needing something to remove something (water in this case) from your body.  If the towel was already wet, it would not dry you and if the towel was dirty, it would get you dirty as well.

Maybe there is something in your life, not "just on your body", that needs to be removed. If you have a church family, they can help share that burden with you.  In fact, just as the towel did it's job by taking the water off your body, the church family does it's 'job' by taking some of the burden off you.  If the church family wasn't ready to do it's job (like a dry towel), it couldn't help you either.  And if the church family wasn't spiritually minded (clean), they couldn't and wouldn't help you.  I like what my wife just told me.  She says a towel can wrap around you to warm you up.  And can a church family.

That's why it is so important that we pray for each other continually.  That's why we should ask "how can I pray for you today?".  God does not want to us to try and carry our own burdens without giving them to Him.  Our church family helps us take those burdens off of our backs and lay them at the feet of Jesus.  So, my friend, how can I pray for you?

2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Gal 6:2 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment