Friday, November 7, 2014

CONSUMERISM IN OUR CHURCHES AT AN ALL-TIME HIGH?

This week I watched an interview with Ed Stetzer and Dr. James Emery White about the decline of the church. During this video which you can see here, Jim White describes some of the statements used by people in our churches who have forgotten that the church is all about Jesus Christ and not about us. 

Here are some of statements that he references...
  • "I need to go where I am fed" as opposed to learning to feed yourselves and then feeding others.
  • "I need to go where I'm am ministered to" as if that's the goal of the church as opposed to you being a minister to others.
  • "I didn't get anything of today's service" instead of "What did God get out of today's service?"
When will we realize how short time is and how important it is to be faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ? Because their focus is on themselves. But what did Jesus say was needed in order to be one of His followers? Luke 9:23 (ESV)  And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 

So this Sunday, instead of thinking about what you want, what if you asked yourself "What does God want from me today?" When you discover the answer to that question, I hope that you will follow through with what He shows you. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment