Friday, May 11, 2012

HAS YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE TOLD ON YOU LATELY?

When I first saw this cartoon, obviously I laughed because of the creativity of this artist but at the same time, I knew right away that this gifted artist was not only 'entertaining' us, but this artist was also teaching us a very important lesson.

Some people act one way in person and a totally different way when sitting alone in front of their computer.  And then of course, there is the photo from someone else's page showing you doing something that you shouldn't be doing and now that photo is 'tagged' with your name on it so it can show up on your page for all of your friends to see.

As a pastor, I am concerned about some of my friends who will one day post something about how good God is or how powerful prayer is but then turn around and post something filled with abusive language and promoting an idea that is anything but godly.

I know what some of you are already thinking... 'Who are you to judge what somebody else does?'  Good question.  The Bible verse that is often quoted in this situation and if so, it is being used incorrectly in this situation is Matthew 7:1...

Matthew 7:1-3 (ESV) Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

The word 'judge' in verse one comes from the Greek word 'krinō' means to condemn or criticize someone.  So Jesus is saying when you criticize someone, don't be surprised when they criticize you, especially if you are nitpicking towards someone when you have all kinds of issues yourself.

But I am not condemning or criticizing someone when I make a statement about something I am concerned about.  There are several reasons for that, one reason being that I know that I have sinned many, many times before and I will sin again soon.  And for that reason, I am so thankful to have a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ, who died on a cross paying the price for my sin, was raised from the dead by God, and now He is sitting beside God praying for you and me.  God's Word says that I will turn from sin and confess them to Him, He will forgive me.  He will do the same for you if you have been saved by the cross of Jesus.

So what am I doing when I state my concern about someone?  Read this next set of Bible verses and then I will explain...

Matthew 7:17-20 (ESV) So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

Jesus is explaining that each of us will be known 'by [our] fruits'.  The word 'fruit' is used to illustrate the proof that you are a follower of Jesus or that you are not.  If you are a Christian, there are certain signs of 'fruit' that another Christian will recognize and since you are both Christians, it would be right for you to fellowship with each other as followers of Jesus.  However, if you are not a Christian, the 'fruit' that you would be producing would be a sign that instead of having fellowship with you as another believer, you would be identified as someone who is not following Jesus and so that person would share with you how much God loves you and the fact that Jesus died for you too.  If you are not a follower of Jesus, you have two choices... you can reject or ignore this article or you can ask God to help you understand more about what I am telling you.

Let me show you one more set of Bible verses in this post that will illustrate what kind of 'fruit' we are looking for...

Galatians 5:19-24 (ESV) Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, socery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

So why did I type all of this stuff?  To help you understand that if you are a Christian, you need to remember that everyone can see the 'fruit' or evidence that proves whether you are obeying Jesus or not.  If you post on facebook that you are a Christian, but then post some trashy comments on your page, you are telling everyone that it doesn't matter what you do because it's not that big of a deal but try telling that to God who gave His only Son to die for  you and me.

If you are not a Christian, please know that I or we are not condemning you or criticizing you.  We are only trying to help you that we are all responsible to God for our words, thoughts and actions.  I pray that you too will one day shows signs of 'fruit' in your life that tells me that you are a follower of Jesus as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment