Friday, February 20, 2015

WHY WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL WHEN GOD SAYS "NO"

Think about a time you were praying about something that you felt very strongly about and how you were sure that God was leading you that direction. If God said "No" to that prayer, how did you feel? Surprised? Discouraged? Confused?


Ron, Judy, Sue, Darlene, myself and Matthew

I had that happen to me earlier this year and it wasn't until this week that I found out why God said "No". I was making arrangements for us to go to the Philippines again this year and suddenly, the trip was cancelled. Our partner told us that he couldn't work with us again. I was very surprised, very discouraged and very confused because I had already been four times and was looking forward to working with more Filipino pastors and preaching more revivals, this time in Mati and other regions. But now, that plan was gone.


Pastor Joe, Juliet, Darlene, Sue, Richard and me on the way to Mati in 2014


Preaching a street revival in one of the compounds

For several days, I really wondered what happened... why weren't we going to the Philippines again. But then after talking and praying with my wife, family and friends, I had peace with it knowing that everything happens for a reason.

This week, I saw the reason in a new email from my partner, Pastor Joe. Here is part of what he said... 
"I am sorry to inform you that Mati City Police Camp or Head Quarter was attacked last Sunday February 15 by the Communist New People's Army. A gun battle errupted. It is not very safe to travel now for American visitors. Also, and encounter with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and our Special Action Force last January 25 have resulted to 44 killed of our Policemen. Again, the Peace and Order situation in our island of Mindanao is not conducive for travels and visitors like Americans. I can not encourage you to come. It is very dangerous... Both the New People's Army and Muslim Rebels are very active and unpredictable in their struggles to achieve their goals. This means as far as I am concerned it is no longer safe to invite Americans to conduct ministries open to the public.  this is the issue that we really worked wisely and with prudence when we tried to work with American preachers and missionaries." 

Another American pastor and I would have been traveling to that area in less then four weeks had God not said "No". Matthew would have joined us a few days later. As soon as I read that email, I thought, "God, You are my deliverer!"  

Psalm 18:1 (ESV) I love you, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

The next time God tells me "No", I hope I remember this lesson and thank Him for His guidance and protection instead wondering why. God is so good and His love endures forever!!!

Psalm 100:5 (ESV)  For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment