Thursday, December 16, 2010

WHERE ARE YOU HEADED?

25 Let your eyes look right on [with fixed purpose], and let your gaze be straight before you.
26 Consider well the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established and ordered aright.
27 Turn not aside to the right hand or to the left; remove your foot from evil. Prov 4:25-27 (AMPLIFIED BIBLE)

It's that time again... another year is almost over.  [I am not ignoring the fact that one of the greatest holidays is about happen... Christmas is just 9 days away.  'If there wasn't any Christmas, there would be no Easter.'] Another year to look back and ask all of those questions like 'How did I do at ____________?', 'Was this a good year or not?', etc.  But after reading today's Bible verses, I am really dealing with this question "What direction is my last 12 months pointing to? As a Christian? As a pastor?  As a husband? As a father?  As an influence on those around me each week?"

I think this is an important question for all of us to ask ourselves, not only at the end of the year, but every day.  If the Lord allows me to still be here this time next year, will I see progress and improvement in my life?  Will I just go through the motions and rituals of life?  Will I see my life going the wrong direction as far as priorities, character, and love are concerned?  What about five years down the road?  Ten?

Look at these verses again...
25 Let your eyes look right on [with fixed purpose], and let your gaze be straight before you.
26 Consider well the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established and ordered aright.
27 Turn not aside to the right hand or to the left; remove your foot from evil. Prov 4:25-27 (AMP)

Powerful!  Let me quickly walk you through these verses and see how you can apply God's wisdom to your life as well.
1. STAY FOCUSED.  25 Let your eyes look right on [with fixed purpose], and let your gaze be straight before you. I heard a saying years ago that said "Keep the main thing the main thing." and that is so true.  We need to stay focused on what really matters and not sweat the small stuff as much as we do.  My wife is constantly and lovingly telling me that I let stuff bother me way too easily. [Lord, please help me with that.]

2. STAY ON THE RIGHT TRACK. 26 Consider well the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established and ordered aright.  In addition to staying focused on what really matters, understand where you are supposed to be going and take the necessary steps to get you there.  You can't get there if you don't know where 'there' is.  Got it? [Lord, please help me with that one too.]

3. STAY CLOSE TO JESUS. 27 Turn not aside to the right hand or to the left; remove your foot from evil.  You will tempted at times to step off the path to the right or to the left, but don't do it.  You will never have true joy, true peace, true strength, or true satifaction unless you stay close to Jesus.  The world can't give it to you, sex can't give it to you, alcohol can't give it to you, drugs can't give it to you, money can't give it you, possessions can't give it to you, (do I need to go any farther?)... only Jesus can give you all that.  He said in John 10:10 that He came so that you and I could have an abundant life.  A real life. [Lord, I need this one just as much as the first two.]

Pray with me, please... Heavenly Father, please forgive us for all of the bad decisions we have made this past year.  Please forgive us for all of the wrong actions that we have done and give us a fresh slate today as we commit our lives to Jesus Christ, who died for our sins.  May this not be a passing thought, but a true way of life for each one of us.  In the name of Jesus, we pray, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment